Monday, January 16, 2006

Picking the Globes

Maggie says:
It's a happy day in movie nerd land: Golden Globe Day. Let the countdown to the Oscars begin!

There's still a bunch of movies I haven't seen that I need to see, but here's how I'm feeling about tonight's awards (and I'm only picking for the picture and acting awards; I'll do the rest come Oscar time):

DRAMA CATEGORIES

Best Actress:
- Maria Bello, A History of Violence
- Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
- Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof
- Charlize Theron, North Country
- Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha
* Okay, this is what I'm talking about: I haven't seen any of these movies. But I'm feeling Bello or Huffman from what I've heard. I like Maria Bello a lot and this movie is supposed to be incredible, and Felicity Huffman has lots of buzz, too (and let's face it, awards shows love it when actresses don't look their best in a role).

Best Actor:
- Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
- Terrence Howard, Hustle and Flow
- Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
- David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck
* This is clearly a Hoffman-Ledger battle, and I have friends on either side of it. For me, it's Hoffman's, but I can completely see why Ledger could get it. Either one obviously deserves the award, but I think this race is most interesting as a preview to the Oscars, when they're going to have Joaquin Phoenix thrown into the mix, too, and votes always tend to be more political. For example: I can see Ledger getting this one (and again, deservedly so), but the Oscar going to Hoffman more for his body of work, which is beyond fault.

Best Picture:
- A History of Violence
- Brokeback Mountain
- The Constant Gardener
- Good Night, and Good Luck
- Match Point
* Brokeback all the way. No question. I mean, have you seen this movie?

MUSICAL OR COMEDY CATEGORIES

Best Actress
- Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
- Keira Knightley, Pride and Prejudice
- Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
- Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone
- Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
* Tough, tough, tough! I adore Laura Linney and adore The Squid and the Whale, but I was so impressed with Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line. It's literally a career-changing performance for her. I just don't know. I'd be happy with either of these two. I think the question will come down to again, awarding Laura Linney for constant excellence or rewarding Reese Witherspoon for an outstanding performance in this role (which is technically what awards are supposed to be about...).

Best Actor
- Pierce Brosnan, The Matador
- Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
- Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Nathan Lane, The Producers
- Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto
- Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
* Again, Squid v. Line. Jeff Daniels nailed his role in Squid (he was just brilliant, there's no other way to put it), but there's also no way that anyone who saw Walk the Line can deny Joaquin this award. He was just amazing, so I'm pulling for him.

Best Picture
- Mrs. Henderson Presents
- Pride and Prejudice
- The Producers
- The Squid and the Whale
- Walk the Line
* If Walk the Line wasn't in this category, The Squid and the Whale would walk away with this one. The movie is perfect. But Walk the Line is an entirely different kind of movie, one that tends to win more awards than a little "divorce genre" (I just found out that that's a real term!) flick like Squid. It's a tough call, but I'd bet Walk the Line will get it.

GENERAL CATEGORIES

Best Supporting Actress
- Scarlett Johansson, Match Point
- Shirley MacLaine, In Her Shoes
- Frances McDormand, North Country
- Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
- Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain
* Michelle Williams so embodied this character and her pain. It's gotta be her. She was devastating to watch. And how outrageous is it that Catherine Keener was not nominated? Criminal!

Best Supporting Actor
- George Clooney, Syriana
- Matt Dillon, Crash
- Will Ferrell, The Producers
- Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
- Bob Hoskins, Mrs. Henderson Presents
* I cannot believe that Jake Gyllenhall was not nominated here. To me, his eyes alone could have gotten a Golden Globe. But anyway... I'm not sure on this one because I've only seen Crash, and I wasn't overly impressed with Matt Dillon. I'll say Giamatti, if only 'cause everyone loves him and he's perpetually under-recognized.

6 Comments:

Blogger Erik Loomis said...

I can't give a good comment since I haven't seen that many of these movies. But after the Oscar nominations come out I'm going to go into full geek mode and watch all the movies nominated. Here's a few thoughts:

Under normal years I'd really be feeling David Strathairn, not only for this role but because he's a really underrated actor. But there's no way I can't go for Heath Ledger. And of course Brokeback Mountain for best picture. I've only seen 2 of the 5 movies in best actress for a comedy but I don't see how anyone could have been better than Laura Linney. Though is The Squid and the Whale really a comedy? Jeff Daniels was also very deserving. I generally think less of Walk the Line than you seem to. It's a TV movie with good performances. The script was really bad and it seems to me that a movie about a musician should actually tell you why the person started singing. What drove Cash to sign? We don't get a very good idea of it at all. I'm sure Michelle Williams will win best supporting actress here and at the Oscars and she deserves it. But I've heard Scarlett Johansson was great in Match Point and she's awesome anyway so I'd have no problem there. Finally, I'm not sure why Jake Gyllenhall isn't getting more buzz for his role in Brokeback. Lost in the shuffle I guess. I have a feeling this one is going to Clooney and maybe the Oscar as well. Hollywood likes to reward its own and since Syriana really isn't a good enough movie to win best picture, especially this year, I can really see them reward him here.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Great comments. I tend to agree with you about Walk the Line, actually. What I like best about it are the performances, not the script or production. I think it's an all-around good movie, but certainly not on par to compete with Brokeback.

To be more clear, I would like to see Squid and the Whale win for comedy (and yeah, the categorizations are a whole other debate...), but I'm thinking Walk the Line will get it if the performance awards go to Daniels and Linney.

So political, these damn awards shows! Thanks for the nerdy debate. :-)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Oh, and still haven't seen Syriana. On my list for this week, I think.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...crap! It's 7:03 pm posting this...and that'slike placing a football bet after the kick off. They are on the carpet, but I don't care, 'cuz I'm gonna run the table. Actually an incredibly stupid song just came on riffing on "Don't You Wish You're Girlfriend..."This is so horrible!!

OK, going backwards on the Maggie List:

Best Supporting Actor should be Giamatti for making Russell Crowe look so bad in their scnenes together. That deserves something. He's gonna win it.

Oh crap! There's Queen Latifah!!! Is she hosting?! Oh dear me...she just invoked the name MLK in the same breath as her hideous movie. Shoot me...

Anyway, Best Supporting Actress. Maggie has it right...It HAS to ne Michelle Williams, which reminds me to ask a question; at the screening of brokeback I saw, why was the scene of Williams so godamned funny?! Freaks...

Crap, they're doing Best Actor...gotta hurry. FUCK. Clooney just won. So much for running the table...and Giamatti.

Best Picture: Squid/Whale.

Best Actor: Because I'm 47, divorced, and damaged beyond all hope because of it, it must be Jeff Daniels to aid my recovery.

Best Actress:

Because I'm 47, divorced, and damaged beyond all hope because of it, it must be Laura Linney to aid my recovery.

Fuck! Rachel Weiss just won. So much for running the table...

Best Pix: Brokeback

Best Actress: Havent seen any of these flicks except "Memoirs," which induced a nap. Just saw Maria Bello CRUSH a role in "Sisters," so I';m kinda warm on her right now.

OK, got it in before the first commercial and I'm of for two. From this point on I'm runnin' the table baby!!!

Gene

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot Best Actor/Drama...which should be Phillip SeeMore Hoffman. I'm annoyed as shit about that J. Phoenix playing at Folsom prison stunt. Sets a wicked bad precedent. here's a good idea. let's get a bunch of actors, get them dressed up and have another Woodstock!!

Barf.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...well, 12:28 am, it's over and Brokeback...what can you say. It's only done $30 million so far, but it's the RIGHT 30 million, dammit.

Also, never bet against a woman who averages 23 movies a week.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home