Saturday, November 05, 2005

What a compliment

Maggie says:
From The Nation, in its review of Shopgirl, regarding Claire Danes:
Watching her, you think other actresses look half-alive at best. You even forget for a while that other actresses exist.
Our girl's come a long way since "My So-Called Life." Or maybe, finally living up to its promise?

Man did I have a thing for Jordan Catalano. Me and every other girl.

PS since I'm talking movies: Stay tuned for my Capote review. After the thesis, I have so much to say. Absolutely amazing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erik Loomis said...

I haven't seen this movie yet. However, regarding Danes, I actually felt bad for her in The Hours when she shared scenes with Meryl Streep. Streep seemed to embody the character while Danes was acting. It's not fair to compare anyone with Meryl Streep, but I'm not really convinced that Danes is really that great. Though I clearly need to see Shopgirl before coming to any final judgments.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Arvin Hill said...

I like Danes and was a big fan of "My So-Called Life."

My affection for Steve Martin has waned over the years. The last time I really enjoyed his work was "Bowfinger."

Despite being of a certain age myself, the notion of Martin and Danes pairing for a romance is - to put it kindly - iggy. (For some reason, I didn't have the same reaction to Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in "Lost in Translation".)

Looking forward to your "Capote" review. As a kid, I used to watch "The Merv Griffin Show" and was mesmerized by Capote's freakishness when Griffin interviewed him.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

didja know Ms. Danes is in town at this very moment?
(or was as of two days ago)
Along with Richard Gere (of all people). Not that I track this, really, but Claire Danes? Pretty cool.

e

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home