Monday, October 10, 2005

What's a real woman to do?

Mikaela says:
Having a body issue morning. Went to roll up my pants to ride my bike to work (because I'm starting to be paranoid about what all this sitting-down thesis writing and no exercise is doing to my ASS, not to mention my circulatory system) and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Picture an inverted triangle, my feet the little point, my legs the two sides, and my huge-ass hips and middle spread the "third leg."

Oh my god. I hadn't realized what a boon the bell-bottom fashion was to my growing-rapidly middle.

The picture to the left is borrowed from the funny ladies at threadbared.com.

Is she or is she not an ALIEN? I mean, I know I'm built a certain tank-girl way, but she is UNREAL. Look at those fingers! The hands! The impossibly long arms. How can she breathe with no room for lungs? How does she process food, or does she in fact eat?

The fact that she came from a pattern book and was put out there as a model means she is someone's ideal. Ideal what, exactly, I'm not sure. She is elegant, yes, in the sense that long is elegant. But ... I'm left asking the question: if that's one ideal of female beauty, am I just on the other end of the spectrum? Or am I missing something?

8 Comments:

Blogger mjae said...

Let's remember, too, that this photo comes from the age before touchups and Photoshop!

12:12 PM  
Blogger marjorie said...

you're bee-u-ti-ful mikaela!!!!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Oh, GET OVER IT, you. I don't want to hear it! This level of body whining is not acceptable from such a smart girl! You are not only exceedingly cute, but in a better mood, you know you are.

And as someone reminds me, you were THE TALK of the National Poetry Slam organizing committee. So put on your curvy jeans and smile, dammit!

11:57 PM  
Blogger mjae said...

Even smart girls are allowed to have fat days!

YOU get over it! ;)

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...can a dude, er, weigh in here? "You," mjae, are freaking hot. "She," Alien Stiff, is a freak.

Hot + Smart = Wicked Hot
Freak + Alien = Wicked Frightening

Re-flip that visual and take another gander...and recall all the cats oogling you (nicely) during the Slam. Not an accident...

Gne

2:01 PM  
Blogger mjae said...

Speaking of, Mr. Gene, when are we having that coffee?

I know you're Mr. Supercool T.V. Personality now, but try to stay in touch with us little people. Specially us wicket hot ones!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...you see what I'm saying?! Would Alien Freak be able to even type, let alone have a conversation over coffee? Doubts.

I adore a woman who is to busy for me...love it. Now that I think of it, that profile fits all the M's.

I'll e-mail you in 2008, when your schedule frees up!

Gene

9:53 AM  
Blogger Arvin Hill said...

Damn, that pic made me laugh. I'm guessing it was taken in the late fifties to early sixties, back when Dexedrine was sold over the counter. The photos of my mother taken in that era tend to be on the spooky side precisely for that reason.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home