Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Duke City Shootout

Mikaela says:
I just know Duke City Fix will have a really great post about this. I certainly won't. This will be a shitty post about it, but at least it's something.

What am I going on about?

Consider this your advanced warning:
There's a SHOOTOUT a'comin', headin' your way, pardner.
(oof. horrible. I told you!)

Still don't know what I'm talking about? Me neither. Man, I had breakfast at Mannie's this morning, and I'm STILL paying for it. Whew! Focus, focus...

The Duke City Shootout Festival will take place downtown July 22-30.

The opening night extravaganza will be hosted Friday, July 22 at the Golden West Saloon (ahhhhhh....how appropriate!). Drinks, sample films, an opening band, and something really exciting ... a SKA BAND! If you come, you might even catch me skankin' to the beat. Oh, yeah, baby, you know I'm a rude girl.

Doors open at 7:30, and the cost is a wee $5.

So here's the inside scoop: Seven lucky people were chosen to turn their 12-minute scripts into movies over the course of 7 days -- right here in our fair city. (A couple Burqueans represent. Power to the people.) They have strict rules about shooting only 8 hours a day. They have help with editing and post production, and 7 days from the opening shot, viola! Seven 12-minute movies for your viewing pleasure.

You can see the results of this innovative marathon-week of movie-making at the closing ceremonies:

Saturday July 30th, 8PM: Film Awards Ceremony & Party at the Kiva Auditorium (401 Second NW) and Post-Party hosted at the Sheraton Old Town

More info: Duke City Shootout or contact my girl Alexis by e-mail (akerschner@rjc.com) or phone 266-7220.

She'll even give you one of these fantastic posters for free. (I really dig the tough-girl! "She had more than a vision...she had a script!" Apart from the grammatical error, I'm considering using it as my personal mantra. At least, for all my Raymond Chandler novels.) Ask nice. She likes that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Arvin Hill said...

That is SO FREAKIN' COOL. I would love to write a short script and watch it come to life.

Color me green with envy.

10:15 PM  
Blogger mjae said...

Not just WATCH it come to life but MAKE IT come to life. There is an option to choose a director to do it for you, but the idea is to direct it yourself. And edit. You can't produce, oddly enough. They assign you a producer. Still, totally cool, as you say. Submit next year! It's a national contest. Only a couple of the winners were local.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Arvin Hill said...

What a wonderful suggestion, Mikaela.

I'm just a blogger, but what I really want to do is direct.

Short films, like short stories, are a notoriously tough format, but it would be a riot trying to make it work.

And whaddya know? I already have an idea begging for realization. The title would give it away, but think "Office Space" meets "American Beauty."

Now, the hard part:





Getting Annette Bening's phone number.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home