Friday, June 16, 2006

Listening to The National

Maggie says:
A friend who'd be horrified at being m-pyrically outed (so will therefore be kept anonymous) burned a CD for me a couple weeks ago, and it's become an absolute obsession. The CD is Alligator by The National. And really, listen to this thing at your own risk, because it will jam itself into your head and NEVER LEAVE.

The sound is a melodic, gorgeous up-and-down mix: a leisurely, moody tryst followed by a quick, angry sprint followed by a jaunty, biting skip. It's somehow dark and foreboding without sounding like either. It's a deep voice that cuts through your brain with lyrics that lull you into their pace and mood.

Probably what's really happening here is my full realization that I have a major crush on singer/songwriter Matt Beringer, he of the deep voice, confessional lyrics, and unapologetic arrogance. Somehow the same man sings "I'm a perfect piece of ass" and "For a little while you'll be here, the only good part of me" and it works. I think that's because in the moments in between humility and self-confidence, he's vulnerable but no saint, like so many of us: "Break my arms around the one I love, And be forgiven by the time my lover comes."

"Secret Meeting" is the song that haunts me all through my workday. All the others I play extremely loudly while driving fast. So... having a "stilted, pretending day?" Listen to this CD and it'll make it all better.

"Baby, come over, I need entertaining
I had a stilted, pretending day
Lay me down and say something pretty
Lay me back down where I wanted to stay
Just say something perfect, something I can steal
Say, look at me
Baby, we'll be fine
All we've gotta do is be brave and be kind
I pull off your jeans, and you spill jack and coke in my collar
I melt like a witch and scream
I'm so sorry for everything"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I think we need to add this as background music to our book-swapping date. Can't wait to hear it!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home