Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"The Departed"

Maggie says:
Just came back from seeing "The Departed." It's so, so, so good. Incredibly violent and featuring lots of eyes-closed scenes, but still.

SOOOOO good.

Tonight was the first time I've ever watched Leonardo DiCaprio in a movie and not felt like I was watching Leonardo DiCaprio self-consciously play a character. He's amazing here... I completely forgot who he was.

Amazingly cast. High-stakes but incredibly human. Great Boston accents. Funny one minute and bone-chilling the next. Really the heart of Boston: race and class and neighborhoods all rubbing up against each other, worlds away from the Boston people take vacations to see.

Top-to-bottom STACKED: DiCaprio unbelievably good, Matt Damon steely and right-on, Jack Nicholson exactly as you expect him to be (and that's not always a good thing), Martin Sheen making your heart hurt, Mark Wahlberg so acerbic and hardcore you can't wait to hear what he'll say next, and Alec Baldwin a gung-ho sorta-buffoon with some of the movie's best lines...

Go see it. As long as you're not too squeamish.

2 Comments:

Blogger LP said...

I saw it the night it opened, and I have to say this is probably the best movie I've seen all year.

I see 2-3 movies a month, so a lot of my hard-earned cash goes directly to the pockets of the likes of Tom Hanks and Jack Nicholson.

This is a movie that I might actually buy when it comes out on DVD.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. Loved this movie even if there were some moments that either made me jump out of my skin or want to cry my eyes out. Best movie I've seen in a while.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home