Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Rant.

Maggie says:
I'm not sure where else to post this, but I've gotta rant.

My new neighbor just said to me (not meaning any disrespect, of course!):

"You look too prissy to be an activist."

Hmmm.

Kind of like when a certain $%^@*& dean of a certain school said to me,

"Wow. I thought you'd look more confrontational in person."

And of course, I can't forget the recent comment from someone at work:

"Well I'd heard they'd hired someone with all this great experience, but you're much too young and good-looking to be her!"

WTF?!?! Since when are intelligent, poltically-active, socially-conscious women supposed to look like unshowered, schlumpy horrors?

Oh, that's right. Since always.

Grrrrr......

Signing off, NOT the cheerleader they think I am,

Maggie

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweetheart, my commiseration. been through that one myself over the years. i've actually had people say, "wow you're actually smart too" as if being cute somehow precluded being smart.

gotta love those old white men.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what does a confrontational person look like, exactly?

10:13 AM  
Blogger marjorie said...

like maggie.

of course, the better word would be challenging.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be, um, totally obvious, but I hope that third comment didn't come from anyone who might be supervising you. If so, a quiet word in the ear of your HR person is in order....

8:44 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

No such worries needed! But thanks. :-)

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home